Hugo/Aurora-eligible work from 2008
...Otherwise known as the annual "awards pimpage" post
I did a bunch of stuff that I'm proud of last year, including finishing a Virga novel and midwifing the production of another one. I'm also back writing short fiction, because there seems to be an insatiable demand for my short work lately; so it would be hard for me to pick a favourite from the past year. Luckily, other people have jumped in to rate my work and have been particularly kind to "To Hie from Far Cilenia" and "The Hero" (the latter was recently chosen by Gardner Dozois for his Year's Best Science Fiction, 26th Annual Edition).
So here's a list of my work from 2008 that's eligible for the Hugo and (Canadian) Aurora awards. Bear in mind that this really is nomination season--if you don't have your Worldcon membership already you'd better hurry if you want to nominate. Also, remember that works regularly get nominated for the Hugo by as few as 35 people, so in this case, your vote really does count!
- Pirate Sun, Tor Books.
- "To Hie from Far Cilenia", published in METAtropolis, Audible Books, John Scalzi, editor.
- "Book, Theatre, and Wheel", Solaris Book of New SF #2, George Mann, editor, Solaris.
- "Mitigation", written with Tobias Buckell, Fast Forward #2, Lou Anders, editor, Pyr Books.
- "The Hero", Eclipse Two, Jonathon Strahan, editor, Night Shade Books.
Dramatic Presentation, Long form
- METAtropolis (audio book (iTunes link)), written by Tobias Buckell, Elizabeth Bear, Jay Lake, John Scalzi and Karl Schroeder; read by Scott Brick, Michael Hogan, Alessandro Juliani, Kandyse McClure and Stefan Rudnicki), John Scalzi, editor, Audible Books.